Thursday, 6 April 2017

Robbie Update


Robbie is in the midst of a big update, with the CPU pegged at 100% it left no room for further development also a slight bug would crash the whole robot. My solution was to split up the computers on Robbie He now runs a raspberry pi 3 for low level programs and the main computer runs the higher level programs. The added advantage is Robbie now uses less power and now can run for 4 hours as opposed to 20 minutes before. Previously I used a kinect in the head to do face recognition now Robbie has a RPI camera. Face recognition was never 100% I tried openface and that works better, I just have to get it to run with ROS. Getting ROS to work was difficult using Ubuntu mate 16.4 and Ros kinetic worked but the TTS never worked reliably After switching to Raspbian Jessie and compiling ROS from source it seem to work OK Compiling works better when you increase the swap file size to 1024  

1 comment: